At Market Harborough C of E Academy we believe we are all growing together in God’s love and our golden threads reflect the caring ethos of our school. In line with Jesus’ teaching, everyone is welcome at our school and there are no outsiders. We promote the Protected Characteristics. The Equality Act became law in 2010, protecting everyone in Britain from discrimination, harassment and victimisation. The Equality Act protects people against discrimination because of the protected characteristics that we all have. Under the Act, there are nine Protected Characteristics
- Gender Reassignment
- Religion or belief
- Marriage or Civil Partnership
- Sexual Orientation
- Pregnancy and Maternity
At Market Harborough, we actively promote these characterisitcs through all our curriculum but especially through our PSHE and RSE curriculum, assemblies and collective worship and our work as a Rights Respecting School. Our school community are taught how we are protected from discrimination. It is important that all pupils gain an understanding of the world they are growing up in and that they become Responsible citizens who are a hope for humanity at a local, national and global level. It is crucial that our pupils learn to respect themselves and others; developing an understanding of different cultures, faiths and the richness of the world we live in.
- Promote equality of opportunity in schools and prevent discrimination.
- Teach children about the Equality Act 2010.
- To contribute positively to society and life in Britain as they grow up.
- To be responsible citizens who are a hope for humanity at a local, national and global level.
- To be respectful of ourselves and others; developing an understanding of different cultures, faiths and the richness of the world we live in.
- To be outward facing; keen to serve our community; exemplifying ‘love our neighbour’.
- Aspiring to ‘live life in all its fullness’ [John 10:10], knowing who we are and knowing our own self-worth
- Promote inclusive; welcoming and cherishing everyone.
Using Picture Books
In school, we recognise the value of storytelling and the importance of reading. This is why one of our golden threads is ‘confident communicators, passionate readers. Across the school, we have introduced some key texts which will be read in classes and in assemblies. Each picture book has been chosen because it deals with the equalities in the Equality Act and helps to create our whole school ethos of welcoming and cherishing all.
Equality Act 2010: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/equality-act-2010-guidance
No Outsiders Website: https://no-outsiders.com/