Welcome to our Outdoor Learning page.
Here you will be able to keep up to date with the latest information on the progress and use of our fantastic Outdoor Learning area.
But what is Outdoor Learning?
Simply put, Outdoor Learning is an exciting outdoor learning experience, and we are lucky enough to have space at the bottom of our school field to eventually be able to run sessions on our school grounds!
Why should children be involved in outdoor learning?
Outdoor learning is about sensory exploration of the Great Outdoors in all seasons and (almost) all weathers! It’s about getting back to nature and getting muddy!
Participation in outdoor learning sessions:
- Builds confidence and resilience.
- Encourages the imagination.
- Fosters teamwork skills.
- Nurtures communication and problem-solving skills.
- Allows children to safely manage their own risks (under full supervision and depending on age and skill level).
- Encourages children to bring their own ideas, once they have learnt some basic skills.
- Embraces child-initiated learning.
- Is fully inclusive of all children.
How will the sessions run?
We will be starting to trial outdoor learning this term beginning with EYFS. Over the course of a year ALL children will have an opportunity to take part in sessions.
What will the children be doing?
In these sessions children will be taught to:
- use real tools to create woodland crafts,
- build shelters,
- build a fire and cook on the camp fire,
- climb trees safely
- create natural art
and so much more!