If you are considering thinking of sending your child to Market Harborough C of E Academy, you are welcome to come and look around, and speak to the Headteacher: please contact the office to make an appointment. We are a non-selective Church of England School but the Local Authority, (Leicestershire County Council), control admissions. If you would like to apply for a place in our school and you live in Leicestershire, the first step is to fill in a Leicestershire schools’ admission application form. An easy way to apply is online at www.leics.gov.uk/admissions. An application for a place in a primary school must be made to the Local Authority where you live. For example, if you live in Northamptonshire, you must complete the Northamptonshire application form for primary school places, even if you intend to move to Leicestershire. All first time applications for September 2018 must be made by the closing date of 15th January 2018.
At Market Harborough C of E children start school in the September of the academic year in which they have their fifth birthday. We have a comprehensive induction programme for children starting EYFS which includes: visits by our staff to see the children in their pre-school setting; an evening presentation to parents; an informal “getting to know you” tea party, a series of taster sessions in school and an information booklet for children and parents to share.
The Local Authority has a duty to provide school places for all pupils resident in its area Leicestershire achieves this by giving high priority to catchment area children, and by allowing parental preference wherever possible.
Parents have a right to express a preference for a school place, including where the child has Statement of Special Educational Needs. Parents must ensure suitable full-time education for their children by attendance at school or otherwise; they are not obliged to do this before the child has reached compulsory school age.
Compulsory school age is from the term immediately following a child’s 5th birthday, this means:
- A child turning 5 in the Autumn term must start school no later than from the start of the Spring term
- A child turning 5 in the Spring term must start school no later than from the start of the Summer term
- A child turning 5 in the summer term must start school no later than the following autumn term (Leicestershire paragraph 4.16 applies for summer born children)
Parents whose preferences are refused have a right to appeal to an Independent Appeal Committee whose decision is binding, except for children with statements whose parents can appeal to the Special Educational Needs Tribunal. Pupils admitted following appeal to community and voluntary controlled schools will have their admission confirmed by the Local Authority (this is because the Admitting Authority has been directed, in effect, to admit the pupil in these circumstances).
Our planned admission number for first time admissions (to start school in Reception) is 60 pupils per year group. If there are too many requests for the number of places available, priority will be given to children in the appropriate age-range, whose parents applied on time in the following order in line with the LA admissions policy:
- Children who are in public care and those children who were previously looked after children (see note ii)
- Pupils who live in the catchment area (See note iii)
- Pupils who will have an older brother or sister attending the same school at the same time (see notes iv and v)
- Pupils who have a serious medical condition or exceptional social or domestic needs that make it essential they attend the school requested. (Professional documentation confirming the situation must be submitted with the application.) (see note v)
- Pupils who will have attended a feeder school for at least two years before the time of transfer. (see note vii)
- Pupils starting at an infant school with a sibling attending at the same time in the linked Junior school (see note iv) or Pupils transferring to High school who will have an older brother or sister attending the linked Upper school at the same time (see note iv)
- Pupils basing their application on religious belief (see note vii)
- Pupils living nearest to the school measured in a straight line distance (home to school front gate) (see note ix)
If at any stage you need to talk to someone about the admission process, you can contact school or the Schools Admissions Section on 0116 305 6684 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about school admissions, please go to Leicestershire County Council website.
Every effort is made to ensure that the transfer between settings is as smooth as possible. Children leave to continue their education at secondary school at the age of eleven. The majority of our pupils transfer locally to Welland Park Academy (11 to 16) and Robert Smyth Academy (11 to 19). All children have opportunities to visit their secondary school and meet the staff before transfer. Below is a list of the schools that belong to the Market Harborough family:
- Market Harborough C of E Academy
- Farndon Fields Primary School
- Great Bowden Academy
- Little Bowden C P Primary School
- Lubenham All Saints CE Primary School
- Meadowdale Primary School
- Ridgeway Primary Academy
- St Joseph’s Catholic Voluntary Academy
- Welland Park Academy
- Robert Smyth Academy